The perfect practicum placement experience.

Wednesday, July 12, 2017


During my three week study break I was lucky enough to spend three days of the break alongside the team at the Caci Clinic Havelock North as apart of my Practicum placement. I can't thank the team at Caci Havelock North for welcoming me into their team for the short period of three days, everyone made me feel as though I was apart of their team from the minute I stepped through the door.

Firstly I choose to attend the Caci clinic for my practicum placement with the intention of a insight to the Apperence medicine place of work, Adding nursing to my career has been in the back of mind since I started my study of Beauty and Body Therapy, although I hadn't quite decided if it was everything it was made out to be. Thanks to the Caci clinic everyone in the team provided me with bundles of knowledge in order for me to determine the best understanding of their business and the industry.

During the three days I spent that time dealing with reception duties - bookings, checking clients in and out of the clinic, dealing with phone calls from clients and to clients regarding how they were finding their results and if they had any concerns after their treatment. Filing of paper work. Helping nurses and therapists with room / bed set ups before and after treatments for the clinic to run as smoothly as possible. Along with daily jobs such as refilling products and keeping on top of washing.


In the ways of completing treatments of my own, as the beauty industry is a closed door service and everything is confidential and professional obviously I wasn't able to deal with clients of my own without their consent, I also did not feel comfortable charging the client full price for a treatment being performed by a student who is not fully qualified as clients pay for your time and qualifications. Luckily enough the staff were more than happy for me to perform basic beauty therapy treatments on them. The Caci team made my practise as professional as possible by having me follow their treatment protocol and using their consultation procedure.

Taking my interest into the nursing sides of things, one of their nurses offered me the opportunity to stand in and assist her with two of her Fractional Laser Treatments, with having client consent of course ! I was privileged enough to get both clients consent to stand in with the treatments and cleanse their faces after having the anaesthetic applied prior to the treatment. As the nurse began the treatment she talked the client through the sensation and side affects that may occur after the treatment. She asked me to hold the vacuum as close as possible to the laser head that she will be holding to remove the smoke plumes that happen when ablating the skin.
 The treatment in itself amazed me, such a complex treatment with some amazing benefits of reducing the signs of ageing correcting the tone, firmness, texture and reducing appearance of wrinkles. Pluses of light are passed through the skin, triggering the skin aiding the skins natural healing process. 


After standing in on two treatments it really opened my eyes to how much knowledge there is to learn and the industry is forever evolving, and is absolutely something I aspire to learning and adding to my career in the next few years. Skincare being my main focus and interest my time at The Caci clinic has helped me develop even more of an interest and help me set some big goals for my future.
It is a huge thing to welcome a student into a professional business especially a closed door service and I can't thank the Caci Clinic Havelock North for having me for the period of three days and for providing me with endless amounts of knowledge and experience in such a short period of time.

For all future Beauty Students I highly recommend choosing the Caci Clinic Havelock North for your practicum placement choice you will be surprised on the knowledge gained in such a short period of time. The Team at Caci are an amazing bunch of ladies who definitely know their stuff !!


Check out the Caci Clinic Havelock North for all your Skin and Body treatments today let them design your treatment plan today !  Click Here !!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

Instagram